Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Football for Females

I got an early Christmas present last night. :)

My bestest bud Angie bought us tickets to the first ever Football for Females, an event hosted by former Ohio State linebacker Chris Spielman. We had a blast! We planned to meet at resterant where the event was being held at 6:30 PM, but I got there a bit earlier and decided to go ahead and check in; I'm glad I did because I was able to score us front row, center seats! Not long after, Angie arrived, and we bought ourselves some wine & started chowing down on the delicious appetizers.

The presentation itself began about an hour later. For those of you who aren't familiar with him, Chris Spielman is a former standout linebacker for the Buckeyes and is currently a college football commentator for ESPN. Sadly, he is also known for the public battle his wife Stephanie fought with breast cancer--a battle she lost a year ago this Friday. Chris spoke about her passing candidly, and I admit I had to fight back some tears. He then launched into the main program, which was basically a question & answer session with the audience; someone would ask a question, and he would explain the answer, usually using the dry erase boards as a visual aid. He also picked on Angie a bit, which was hilarious. :)

Once the presentation was done, they drew numbers for the door prizes. I'm sad to report that neither Angie or I won anything--we were really hoping to get the free booking on the Buckeye Cruise for Cancer in February--but it was fun to watch other ladies win. When the drawing was complete, Chris was available for autographs & photos, which Angie & I definitely took advantage of. We were somehow in the right place at the right time again; we were second in line (out of about 135 attendees!), so we got out of there pretty quickly.

In all, it was a great evening. It was nice to know that any money we spent was going to go a good cause (the Stephanie Spielman Fund for Breast Cancer Research); we got awesome goody bags (a T-shirt, Brio gift card, free massage at a new spa, etc.), and we met another famous Buckeye. I think the best part, though, was hanging out with Miss Angie, and I thank her for the Christmas gift! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment