Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Week of Firsts, and a Regret

Aiden has conquered A LOT of firsts in the past week, almost to the point I want to tell him to slow down a little. He started by melting my heart last Saturday; while we were at Quentin's party, I pointed to myself and asked him "Who's this?" I've been doing this for months now, and if he responded at all, he'd usually say "DaDa!" So I think my heart literally skipped a beat when he looked at me and said "Mama!" Just to be sure it wasn't a fluke, I tried it again twice more that day, and sure enough, his answer was Mama. Best feeling EVER. :)
I already posted about Tuesday's breakthrough--those five beautiful steps--and he's continued to do some limited "walking" on his own. I think we've got a ways to go before he's running around, but I'm definitely thrilled with his progress!
Some other good news to report--Aiden now has tooth #6, and it looks like #7 & 8 won't be far behind. Another neat thing that his sitter let me know is that he's mastered the baby sign language sign for "eat/hungry." Now I'll admit I was a pretty big skeptic of this baby signing stuff UNTIL last night, when he crawled over to me near dinnertime and made that sign! How nice that we could skip the frustration of not knowing what he wanted! So now I'm regretful that I hadn't jumped on board with this sooner. I think with Baby Cotter #2 (who is still resting comfortably in our distant future, so don't get excited), I'm going to make a true effort to try the signing out, and really get Aiden involved, too, as I believe it will be a fun way for him to communicate with his sibling.
We were supposed to go to the Columbus Zoo today with our monthly playgroup, but the forecast was calling for rain and so we changed our plans, heading to Build-A-Bear at the mall instead. Now I'm a little disappointed because rather than the predicted rain, it's a beautiful sunny afternoon. Oh, well--someone's asleep, so I guess I'll go catch up on some yardwork. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to use the baby sign language thing; does your sitter recommend any books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Izzy learned sign language at school...but she was saying the word at the same time she signed it!

    And, she was full on walking about a week after starting...hope Aiden slows down for you.

    ReplyDelete