Saturday, June 12, 2010

Play Ball

In December, I was lucky enough to win one of the prize baskets our Activities Committee at work raffles off for charity. My basket was the only one of ten that I entered to win; it was packed full of Cleveland sports stuff, including an Indians hat, blanket, autographed Fausto Carmona baseball, and then the grand prize--two box tickets to any game in the 2010 season. I told my dad at Christmas that I'd be taking him, and we picked Thursday night's game against the hated Boston Red Sox. How we picked such a perfect game, I'll never know!

When I ordered the tickets in January, I had no clue that the June evening would have perfect weather, that it would be Dollar Dog night, or that it would be Cleveland's best game of the season. After three errors by the first baseman in the first inning alone set us down 3-0, my dad and I were wondering if we'd made a bad choice. But our boys (who I might add have a $100-million-dollar smaller payroll than Boston), kept fighting back, eventually taking a 6-5 lead in the 6th inning. The score remained the same until with two outs in the top of the ninth, our "closer" gave a up a two-run homerun to give Boston a one-run lead. We were a bit crushed, but as I said, our boys had other plans; after loading the bases in the bottom of the ninth, then getting two outs, we were down to our last chance, and in dramatic fashion, Russell Branyon delivered a two-run bloop single to give us the win!

Due to the cheap hot dogs, there was a pretty good attendance, and unfortunately that meant A LOT of Boston fans. I tend to be a rather loud fan of all my teams, but I kept it in check--until those jerks started cheering "Let's Go Red Sox!" in MY stadium. It was SOOOOOOOOO sweet to shut them all up with the win! And there was other interesting stuff besides the game itself; there was a very heartwarming standing ovation for a purple heart winner, a silly hot dog race, and the flattening of one of the morons that ran across the field in the middle of the eighth inning by another fan. Also, Dad & I were constantly giggling at the silly things that would come across the scoreboard (see the photo for an example). All-in-all, it was the MOST exciting baseball game I have ever been to in my life, and I'm so glad I got to share it with my crazy fan of a dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment