Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Virtual vs. Real

I love the blogging world. It's great to {virtually} meet new people from across the country and get a little insight into lives of folks I otherwise would never have known.

That insight, however, can cause one to do a little self inspection.


For example--glimpsing the lives of other bloggers sometimes has me questioning how I present myself.

I guess I am not what you might consider to be “girly.”
Probably a good thing I ended up as a mom to three boys, huh?
Seriously, though. I’m a fanatic when it comes to my sports teams. I curse like a sailor (though usually only when the kiddos are out of earshot). I prefer beer to wine and mixed drinks.
I hate nail polish. WAY too much maintenance. And so all those photos of artsy-fartsy nail designs on Pinterest? Yeah, I don’t get it.

Don't get me wrong--I enjoy a good manicure and/or pedicure every, oh I don't know--15 months or so? (File this under "Ain't Nobody Got Time For That.")
My sister asked if I’d head to Sephora with her at lunch yesterday, and wanting to get out of the office for a bit I figured, hey, why not.
I was totally out of my element in there. And yet I bought a pallet (a pallet!) of eye shadow. Which I’ll probably return.
Makeup in general has always mystified me. My mom didn’t wear it, so that was never a thing that was passed down.  
I make attempts every once in a while to “educate” myself on how to apply the stuff (thank you again, Pinterest), but I never feel like I pull it off successfully.
Hairstyles and I are in the same boat. I’ve got natural spiral curls that probably would look better if I devoted more than five minutes to them in the morning.
If I’m in the mood and have the time, sometimes I’ll straighten those curls, but the time mood doesn’t come often.


I’m always at war with myself when it comes to this crap. Part of me wants to get motivated to try new things and make myself more fashionable/presentable/whatever (usually it’s the part of me that’s just watched an episode of What Not to Wear while downing a sleeve of Thin Mints).
The other part of me subscribes to they’ll-accept-you-as-you-are-so-let’s-eat-that-other-sleeve-of-Thin-Mints-‘kay?
I don’t even know where I’m going with this. 

Am I just lazy? …or clueless?
…or both?

I understand that bloggers are typically only putting their best selves out there on the Interwebs, and so obviously the perception is that they've got it all put together. I'm guilty of that myself on some level (notice the straightened hair in my profile pic?).

And so with that in mind, I suppose I'll just keep discovering new blogs, meeting new bloggers, and understanding that while we all appear to have our sh!t together, realistically, we've all got our flaws quirks.

And that's totally cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment