Tuesday, July 15, 2008

How Aiden was Almost a Chihuahua

Last July, Mike & I went to a pet store on Bethel Road just to kill some time on a Saturday. We were walking past the puppy cages when one of the store associates literally shoved a teacup chihuahua in my arms, asking afterwards if it'd like to hold a puppy. That tiny puppy crawled into our hearts, and somehow, Mike & I stayed in that pet store for over an hour, agonizing as to whether or not we should break the bank and purchase the little guy--for $1500. Ultimately we said no, and went home and looked in the paper for more affordable chihuahua options. We called a lady and decided the that the next day, we might go look at her puppy after I returned from a friend's baby shower.
The next morning, I woke up feeling differently. I can't quite describe it, but it was the same feeling I'd had earlier that March before we miscarried. I tried to ignore this feeling while I traveled to Dayton and back for my friend's shower, but by the time I returned and Mike suggested we go look at the puppy, I told him I might need to take a pregnancy test. He thought I was being silly, but agreed it was best to know first. Imagine his surprise when I came out of the bathroom and showed him the "Pregnant" readout on that glorious little stick.
It was July 15, 2007--one year ago today--that we found out we were expecting our little peanut. Maybe we're just not meant to have a chihuahua. :)

1 comment: